Watermelon is a fruit that accompanies us throughout the summer. It contains many minerals and vitamins. Usually we throw watermelon rinds, but with them, we could easily cook a delicious dessert.
Sweet Watermelon Rind
- 1 kg watermelon rind
- 1 kg sugar
- 200 ml water
- 100 gr alum
- 2 tablespoon whole cloves
- First, we have to trim most pink and all of the green from watermelon rind. Next step is cutting into 1-2 cm cubes.
- On a glass bowl, we have to prepare alum bath, and pour watermelon rind inside. Fill with water and leave for about one hour. This process is crucial to have a solid and transparent rind.
- Rinsing watermelon rind, and put them to cook on medium heat. Pour sugar and water. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 30 minutes.
- Add the spices and remove from heat. Cover and let it cool.
- Watermelon rind can preserved in refrigerator or we can fill sterilized jars and put them in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.