Yshmer preparation requests a little separate time for the preparation of filo pastry, but if you want, you can make it with purchased filo.
Recipe for Yshmer
Ingredients for the filo pastry
- 1 kg of flour
- 1 coffee cup of olive oil
- 1/2 tea spoon salt
- 600 ml of tepid water
- 1 table spoon starch
Ingredients for the filling
- 2 liters of milk
- 200 gr of butter
- 6 eggs
- 250 gr of sugar
- We start to prepare the filo pastry. We must prepare them one day before, so they dry properly.
- We put the flour on the counter, we mix it with the oil, salt, and we add the tepid water. We make the dough in the same way as for borek.
- If we see that the dough needs more water we can add some more or viceversa until we see that the dough is uniform. The dough must be elastic. We put the dough in a glass bowl and we cover it with a clean napkin. We let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- After that, we divide the dough in small balls, about 15 of them. We open the filo one by one using some starch on them so they do not stick to each other.
- We dry the filo one by one using the bottom of a pie-pan in the hot oven at 250°C. After this, we remove them and we let them cool.
- In a big glass bowl, we put the eggs and the sugar. We beat them thoroughly. After this, we add the melted and cold butter.
- We stir thoroughly. We add the cold milk. We stir thoroughly.
- In the end, we add the chopped filos. We stir them together.
- As final step, we put the prepared mixture in a pie-pan greased with butter. We put the pie-pan to bake in the oven at 220°C for about 40 minutes.
- We have to see that the top part is red. After this, we turn off the oven, and leave the yshmer in the oven to drain.
- We take the pie-pan out of the oven, and let it cool. We cut the yshmer in pieces and we serve it.