Tres Leches is a very light cake, with many air bubbles. This distinct texture is why it does not have a soggy consistency, despite being soaked in a mixture of three types of milk. There are many theories on the origin of tres leches cake, whatever it might be the fact is that it has become part of our vernacular cuisine and everybody’s favorite.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of soft butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 2 cups of evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- Beat together butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy and has a very light yellow color (about 3-4 mins). One by one add the eggs and continue beating well after adding each new egg. Add vanilla and flour and beat until you obtain a smooth batter. Pour batter into the baking pan. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (about 35 mins). Cool down to room temperature.
- For the garnish, mix evaporated and condensed milk. Pour the milk mixture on top of the cake and soak in the refrigerator, bathing it regularly until it has absorbed half of the liquid.
- Beat the whipping cream until it starts to form peaks. Add the sugar and keep beating until it is thoroughly mixed. Spread the whipped cream on the cake and chill for another 10 minutes before serving.