Kadaif along with the Baklava are the typical desserts for holidays in Albania. Served also in other states as Greece, Turkey and others on Middle Eastern Europe. We have prepared making roll pieces. In this way, the dessert is much nicer and easier to serve. Alternative names for Kadaif are knafeh, kataifi of shredded phylo dough.
- 1 kg of kadaif
- 600 gr of shelled walnuts
- 2 spoons of cinnamon powder
- 150 gr of sea biscuit minced toasted bread
- 2 spoons of cognac
- 2 spoons of sugar
- 250 gr of melted butter
Ingredients for the syrup
- 1.700 gr of sugar
- 1.200 ml of water
- a little cloves
- 1 spoon of lemon juice
- a little vanilla powder
- To start we prepare the filling. We take the walnuts and we crush them using a bottle so that they crushed a little. In a bowl, we put the crushed walnuts along with the cinnamon, the two spoons of sugar, the sea biscuit, and the cognac. We stir them thoroughly in order that all the components mixed with each other.
- We take the kadaif and we open it in threads. We open it part by part. We take some threads, we straighten them thoroughly and we put on them a spoon of the filling. We start to roll the kadaif trying to hold the filling in the middle.
- We put the prepared roll in the bakeware. We proceed in this way until we finish the whole kadaif. After we are finished, we pour the melted butter over the kadaif.
- We put the bakeware in the hot oven at 100°C for about 1 hour and later at 150°C for around 10 minutes until the kadaif obtains a yellow color. We let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile that the kadaif is cooling we prepare the syrup.
- We take a cooking pot and pour the water in it, we boil it and after that, we pour the sugar, the cloves, the vanilla and the lemon juice. We stir thoroughly and we let it boil for 5 minutes. After this, we let it cool up to 80°C and then we pour it carefully on the cold kadaif.
- We let it cool completely until the kadaif has absorbed the syrup thoroughly and after that, we serve it.
- We put it in a plate and we accompany it with a glass of white sparkling wine.
Enjoy – Bon appétit!
Receta per Kadaif ne Shqip!