Shendetlie is with no doubt one of the best Albanian desserts. Many years ago, shendetlie used to be cooked only on holiday occasions. Even the name of this dessert echoes “health” (sq: shendet), so we can serve it also to children.
- 5 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 500 gr of flour
- 150 gr of honey
- 100 gr of sugar
- 200 gr of butter
- 200 gr of walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
For the syrup
- 1 glass of water
- 2 glasses of sugar
- 2 spoons of lemon juice
- some cloves
- 1 conf. vanilla
- We put the flour in a large pie-pan, and we spread it in a circle. In the middle of it, we put the eggs, the previously melted butter, the honey and the sugar and we stir all the ingredients thoroughly. We add the baking soda. We continue to stir thoroughly until we obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- After this, we add the walnuts and we continue to stir until they mixed with the prepared dough.
- We put the prepared dough in another pie-pan (diameter 26-30 cm), previously greased with a little butter and flour (so that it will not stick). We brush the top with the egg yolk.
- We put the pie-pan in the oven to bake at 140°C for about 40 minutes or until we see that, the top part has reached a nice dark brown color.
- After this, we turn off the oven while leaving the pie-pan inside the oven to drain for about half an hour. We can cut after the dessert is cool completely.
- Meanwhile we prepare the syrup by boiling the water with sugar and with the cloves and vanilla. We pour the hot syrup over the cold dessert. We let it soak properly and cool completely, and after this, we serve the shendetlie in plates.
- Shendetlie is better if it is prepared one day before and it will be even more tasteful.