Arnold Reuben, owner of Turf Restaurant at 49th and Broadway in New York City, developed the recipe for New York cheesecake in 1929 after eating a slice of cheese pie at a friend's home. And here is how this dessert recipe born.
New York Cheesecake
- 6 eggs
- 800 gr softened cream cheese
- 100 gr sugar
- 10 gr corn starch
- 20 gr flour
- 50 gr heavy cream
- one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 85 gr Sweet Digestive Biscuits
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Butter bottom and sides of 10 inch springform pan.
- Crush Animal Crackers into a fine powder. Mix with 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Add to melted butter and mix with a fork until blended.
- Press mixture into the bottom and up about one third of the sides of the pan.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 245 °C - (475°F).
- Mix sugar, flour and corn starch together.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat cream cheese with sugar mix, zest and vanilla until it is smooth. Do not overbeat. You may substitute lemon juice for vanilla.
- Add the whole eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, beating lightly with wooden spoon after each addition. Do not overbeat as this causes the cheesecake to crack.
- Gently stir in cream.
- Pour mixture into the pan. Place pan on cookie sheet to avoid leakage.
- Bake at 245 °C ( 475°F ) for 15 minutes
- Lower heat to 110°C (225°F) and bake for 1 hour
- Raise heat to 120°C (250°F) and bake for about 15 more minutes
- Refrigerate immediately for at least one hour, keep covered with a cloth and cookie sheet (cloth on bottom) until condensation stops forming. Condensation will drip onto the cake if you cover it right away with Saran wrap.